This morning, the Papaya finished his last bit of school to complete the year. Here he is, showing off the final handwriting page from his kindergarten book:
And here's his completion certificate (we deleted his name for this picture), along with a sampling of the workbooks he's done over the last year:
We'll head into town in another couple of hours, ready for a weekend of swimming, hiking, special treats, meeting family & a friend, and other fun stuff!
It was a short week, but a full one. The Papaya & his Daddy did a hike/nature walk together on Saturday. The climbed up the mesa behind the local civic center & had a wonderful time together:

The Papaya slid down into a small bowl from which he could neither climb back up nor climb down. It prompted a good discussion about why you should always think ahead before you leap (or slide). It's a good thing the Papaya doesn't hike on his own yet! The incident did make for a very cute picture, however:

This was a pretty full week for math activities. The Papaya & his Daddy got quite a few Rightstart lessons in. The Papaya rocked on "Four Corners", a fairly complex game in which he had to match numbers that were both the same color & added up to either 10, 15, or 20:
He & I continued on with Singapore, doing more work with addition & subtraction of numbers up to 20. I invented a "Math Candyland" game that we had fun playing together - we used the Candyland gameboard, but chose a "special number" at the beginning of the game (our first was 14), then drew number cards from 1-10. Each player had to subtract the number card drawn from 14, and the difference was the amount of spaces he or she could advance. It was fun, and a lot faster and less tedious (for me, anyway) than the usual Candyland game!
I also figured out a more fun way for the Papaya to complete his "Mental Math" drill worksheets. He completes five problems & I check them, then I complete five problems - making sure to make a couple errors - and he checks them, finding & correcting my errors. The embarrasing thing was that at least two times this week, he found errors in problems I thought I had completed correctly! Here's his completed (and corrected) worksheet:
Language arts this week was centered around the letter "q", and we did a review in spelling. He did very well in both. I'm really looking forward to beginning the first grade language arts program - he's definitely mastered the kindergarten level.
This was a pretty full week for math activities. The Papaya & his Daddy got quite a few Rightstart lessons in. The Papaya rocked on "Four Corners", a fairly complex game in which he had to match numbers that were both the same color & added up to either 10, 15, or 20:
I also figured out a more fun way for the Papaya to complete his "Mental Math" drill worksheets. He completes five problems & I check them, then I complete five problems - making sure to make a couple errors - and he checks them, finding & correcting my errors. The embarrasing thing was that at least two times this week, he found errors in problems I thought I had completed correctly! Here's his completed (and corrected) worksheet:
We did get together with other homeschoolers yesterday. Unfortunately, it was too frigid and windy for the outdoor exploration we planned, so we met at the church fellowship hall & popped up a lot of Playhut structures. The kids had a great time in all the tunnels and tents. To our amusement, they all piled into the school bus & played pretend "School" - the bus picked them up, one by one, then dropped them off at the school where they did a few quick arithmetic problems. Then it picked them up again & dropped them back off at their houses/tents.
1 comment:
Great story, Josiah! Auntie Kimby and I had a good time reading it!
Love,
Grandmama
Post a Comment