The Papaya's creative writing assignment this week was something along the lines of: "Pretend you are a veterinarian taking care of an unusual animal". The following is his story, exactly as dictated to me. The side story of the mouse is kind of random. However, I just finished reading Anna Karenina, and concluded that Tolstoy is the king of random side stories. So the Papaya is following in some illustrious footsteps.
Without further ado, I present to you:
Without further ado, I present to you:
How to Fix an Octopus
by The Papaya
I am a veterinarian, and I am going to tell you how I got a rescue team, and rescued the octopus under the sea.
The octopus got poked by a nail. He was happy and he was not looking where he was going, and he was swimming low over the seabed with his 8 legs down, and he didn’t notice a nail was sticking up from the seabed. Suddenly, the octopus put his legs down on the nail, and the nail stuck in one of his legs!
I went to find a rescue team. First I got to a house that said, “Under the Sea Rescue Team”. I went into the house, and I saw 100 rescue team men. Then I went to the sea and I saw a little bridge leading to the octopus. I could easily see the octopus. He was sh-sh-sh-sh-shivering. Then, we picked the octopus out of the water, then I saw he was 1,000,000 inches long! It took 101 of us to carry the octopus to my house!
Then I saw that a little mouse ended up in my house. He was looking for some place to dig a mouse hole. Then, a light bulb came on in his head. He could dig his mouse hole underground! So he dug a mouse hole underground while we fixed the octopus.
This is how to fix an octopus:
1. Take the nail out.
2. Give him a shot to keep him from getting sick.
3. Put a band-aid on him.
4. Make it so it won’t hurt.
5. Take the octopus back to the sea.
6. Then bring it back to its mother.
After we finished fixing the octopus, the mouse was already finished digging its mouse hole. Then, it crawled out to its friends, and their friends heard him and they ran to him and they said in squeaky voices, “Great mouse hole!”
The End
2 comments:
I love the postmodern twist in this story. The mouse and octopus are linked only by their "being", by their animal state. Otherwise, they have no connection. Fantastic! Almost Kafkaesque!
My dear young doctor, if I ever, ever have a wounded octopus, I will call on you first. You know what you're doing.
Octopus, Octopi, Octoped?
I always think of the giant Squid in
"Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea" back when Disney still new how to make great movies.
Another Doctor in the family, perhaps?
Like Father, Like Son!
Post a Comment