- Spending the night in a Flagstaff hotel and showing up at the airport at 6:30 a.m., only to find that our small airplane had a mechanical problem. We sat in the small terminal (with no bathrooms and no water fountains) for over two hours before being discharged to the ticket counter (flight was canceled) and waiting in a line for another two hours. We finally left the airport (in our car) past 12:00 p.m., starving, after being rebooked for the following day, with absolutely no reimbursement for the hotel we would need to book for that night. Here we are, looking pretty chipper despite the presence of a non-functioning airplane in the background.
-The next day we actually made it to Phoenix. Our flight to Sacramento was delayed three hours, but we did make it to Uncle T's house, arriving only about 30 hours after we were supposed to. We would have made better time by driving.
-On our return, every single one of our three flights was significantly delayed (at least we didn't miss any connections!) Our final nighttime flight to Flagstaff, in a packed 27-seater turboprop, ranks as the worst flight I've ever experienced. They couldn't get the heat turned off, and we spent the whole of the mercifully short flight in a tiny, crowded space that was at least 95 degrees (no exaggeration), with absolutely no regress. When we turned on the little vents over our heads, even hotter air poured onto us. The passenger next to me was almost yelling at the flight attendent to "Turn the heat off - NOW!!!!", and I felt myself trying to stifle a rising and franctic sense of claustraphobia. I stripped the Portabella. The only liquids available were small bottles of water being sold for $3 each. Luckily, we did find a little water left in the kids' sippy cups, and sprinkled each other for most of the flight to make it bearable. When we finally stepped off the plane in Flagstaff into the 20 degree night, it felt wonderful!
-After arriving in Flagstaff, Papaya Daddy went out to the parking lot to try to scrape 18 inches of snow off our car with his hands, while I tried to control three fairly hyper kids at the baggage claim. When none of our luggage arrived, my relief at escaping from the Stifling Oven of Doom was still so great that I just laughed. We spent the night in Flag again and got our luggage the next day. I did NOT trust them to drive it out our house on the rez in any reasonable length of time!
So, US Airways out of Flagstaff - NEVER AGAIN!!! The drive to Phoenix isn't really so bad, after all.
It feels good to get that story told! Another entry to the annals of travel stories for this family. At least nobody threw up...
Papaya Daddy's parents spent a few days with us here in late December before heading back to Germany. Since, then, we've done a lot of school and work. Papaya Daddy worked an insane amount of nights and ER days this past month. I think that since they know he's probably leaving soon, they can give him a lousy schedule without fear that they'll lose him (they are anyway). We survived a miserable cold virus, and the Banana survived two nights of croup with sitting-up-and-struggling-for-breath episides (of course, the first night she had it was when Papaya Daddy was working all night long). Happily, there was a lot of cold, dry air available to help her.
On to news of the kids...
The Portabella continues her reign as the Cutest Baby in the Whole World...
-On our return, every single one of our three flights was significantly delayed (at least we didn't miss any connections!) Our final nighttime flight to Flagstaff, in a packed 27-seater turboprop, ranks as the worst flight I've ever experienced. They couldn't get the heat turned off, and we spent the whole of the mercifully short flight in a tiny, crowded space that was at least 95 degrees (no exaggeration), with absolutely no regress. When we turned on the little vents over our heads, even hotter air poured onto us. The passenger next to me was almost yelling at the flight attendent to "Turn the heat off - NOW!!!!", and I felt myself trying to stifle a rising and franctic sense of claustraphobia. I stripped the Portabella. The only liquids available were small bottles of water being sold for $3 each. Luckily, we did find a little water left in the kids' sippy cups, and sprinkled each other for most of the flight to make it bearable. When we finally stepped off the plane in Flagstaff into the 20 degree night, it felt wonderful!
-After arriving in Flagstaff, Papaya Daddy went out to the parking lot to try to scrape 18 inches of snow off our car with his hands, while I tried to control three fairly hyper kids at the baggage claim. When none of our luggage arrived, my relief at escaping from the Stifling Oven of Doom was still so great that I just laughed. We spent the night in Flag again and got our luggage the next day. I did NOT trust them to drive it out our house on the rez in any reasonable length of time!
So, US Airways out of Flagstaff - NEVER AGAIN!!! The drive to Phoenix isn't really so bad, after all.
It feels good to get that story told! Another entry to the annals of travel stories for this family. At least nobody threw up...
Papaya Daddy's parents spent a few days with us here in late December before heading back to Germany. Since, then, we've done a lot of school and work. Papaya Daddy worked an insane amount of nights and ER days this past month. I think that since they know he's probably leaving soon, they can give him a lousy schedule without fear that they'll lose him (they are anyway). We survived a miserable cold virus, and the Banana survived two nights of croup with sitting-up-and-struggling-for-breath episides (of course, the first night she had it was when Papaya Daddy was working all night long). Happily, there was a lot of cold, dry air available to help her.
On to news of the kids...
The Portabella continues her reign as the Cutest Baby in the Whole World...
2 comments:
I still have my copies of My Father's Dragon and Pete's Dragon.
Timeless!
Kids are adorable, hope you can post that good news that the move is confirmed.
I refuse to fly US Air, many bad experiences with them too.
Southwest remains the most consistent.
Love from your Auntie!
How gorgeous the kids are looking. That baby's eyes are like brown silk.
You know, it won't be long until all this waiting will be a distant memory. I can't imagine how crazy I would be at this point. The fact that you're not dissolving into tears and fist pounding is a marvel. I think I would have been on meds years ago if I had endured the isolation you have. . .
Well, Seattle is certainly not isolated. It's going to be like Christmas every day there. Hope you hear soon, good sister.
Post a Comment